Here’s a summer road trip idea for you, right here in Richland County. Why not visit one or more of the county’s historic and notable bridges?
According to the website Bridgehunter.com, there are no less than 29 of them in both city and rural settings.
In a lengthy introduction, the site’s creator shares, “Somebody needs to document these things before they are lost. If some low-budget history museum can get mentioned in the tourist brochures, then why not a real historic site that is still being used? If people are willing to drive long distances to see a covered bridge, then why not a truss bridge? (It could be argued that a covered bridge is merely a truss bridge with a roof.)”
While six additional bridges are listed as being “lost,” including the Erie-Rock Road Overpass, built in 1868, which was recently demolished despite its placement on the list of Ohio’s Most Endangered Historic Sites. A nineteenth century structure still survives, however – the West Fourth Street Bridge over Maple Run, which dates from 1897.
The stone arch bridge on SR39 over Touby’s Run dates from 1900, according to the site, the same year for the Glenn Avenue Bridge over Ritter’s Run in Mansfield. Ten photos of the abandoned Black Fork Mohican River Bridge are featured, as are images of the “concrete stringer bridge” over Applegate Road.