It was the latest fad in the last decades of the 19th century throughout the Midwest, and particularly in Ohio.
Tired of rigid and formulaic approaches, houses and commercial buildings in the Italianate style sprouted up along the streets of Richland County communities.
This Victorian-era style that began in Britain and spread around the world favored the use of architectural elements from a romanticized past to create buildings that offered an alternative to the prevailing formality of classical architecture. You can easily recognize them by their wide eaves supported by brackets.
Such was the case in Bellville, where one was built to house the family of an enterprising hardware store merchant who wore other “hats” as well. More…
It’s not unusual for the most successful merchant in one of Ohio’s numerous small cities and villages to have built the most architecturally sophisticated house in town.
Such was the case in Shiloh, where the owner of the general store, who also owned an agricultural equipment factory and grain elevator, built a wonderful house on East Main Street about 1880.
It is also not unusual for these types of properties to be used in subsequent decades as funeral homes. In the case of the Silas Ferrell House, it became the location for the McQuate Funeral Home.
The house sits at 25 East Main Street. More…
This church building is testament to faith and resilience.
The present First Presbyterian Church of Shelby, located on North Gamble Street, has occupied this spot for the last 115 years. It stands on the lot to the south of the Post Office Building, the subject of another recent post in this series.
The fact that it exists, however, is rather miraculous.
Presbyterians first met in the Shelby area in the early 1820s. After a couple of initial locations, the congregation built a church on South Broadway in 1851. More…
Last May was to have featyred RichHistory Weekend, an annual celebration of the past throughout Richland County.
Even though those events were cancelled by the current public health situation, we took the opportunity to travel that weekend to Plymouth and to visit a local Landmark of Richland that we have not yet featured on 1812Blockhouse.
In the last half of the 19th century, many American cemeteries were laid out in the style of parks. Ample acreage was obtained, and meandering drives, hills, and landscaping gave visitors a sense of peace and beauty. More…
On August 29, 1932, two houses standing on the west side of North Gamble Street in downtown Shelby had a date with a bulldozer.
It took only a few days for the two structures, one large Queen Anne residence and another older, small structure, to make way for an exciting new chapter in Shelby civic history.
Prior to this, the US Congress had set aside $105,000 for the purpose of buying and clearing land, erecting a new building to house the local post office and some additional federal offices, and to furnish the same. The monies had been championed by former US Congressman William M. Morgan. More…
One could say that the village center of Plymouth might be termed a “One-Half Landmark of Richland,” as Main Street, the downtown’s main thoroughfare, straddles the Richland County – Huron County line.
It would be hard to argue, however, that its downtown boasts one of the most intact sets of nineteenth century commercial buildings in north central Ohio. And, as of December of last year, it is also an area recognized as significant by its inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. More…
It is apparent that the architect of the Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Shelby took particular pride in this building.
After all, while the church was being built in the decade before the Great Depression, Toledo architect William R. Dowling actually moved his family to Shelby, living at 216 West Main Street for two to three years. More…
For over 120 years, the members of All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church in Bellville have provided a high degree of care for the building their foreparents built – literally.
The building on Church Street serves a congregation whose roots in southern Richland County date back almost 200 years – to 1822. Originally occupying another structure in the village, the present structure was constructed between 1894 and 1897. More…
Approaching this spot in Sharon Township from any direction, its spire can be seen for miles as it rises majestically across the flat plains.
For over 180 years, the church for the parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Shelby Settlement, also known as Bethlehem or “The Settlement,” has been a landmark of faith and family. More…
How historically important is the Bellville Bandstand?
Consider the fact the it is featured in “Source Book of American Architecture: 500 Notable Buildings from the 10th Century to the Present” by G.E. Kidder Smith and published by Princeton Architectural Press. More…
The local Plymouth landmark known as the Tubbs-Sourwine House has long had a connection with the rail line it faces.
Constructed on a rise at 49 Railroad Street between 1867 and 1870, it was originally the home of Henry Bitley and Eve Reed Tubbs. More…
Over the last year and a half, we have shared some stories about 34 historic buildings, monuments, and other community icons that grace the streets of Mansfield. Like you, we have learned a great deal not only about these landmarks and their builders, but also about the families that lived and worked in many of them.
We are continuing that series in the coming weeks and months, but we’re also expanding it a bit. Welcome to Landmarks of Richland. More…