There is nothing like fresh fruit and vegetables and right now we are enjoying lettuce, asparagus and peas. As the growing season progresses, there will be many more fresh food choices like corn, watermelon, tomatoes, and apples. We are fortunate to have a wide range of other fresh food available throughout the year in Richland County like eggs, meat and honey.
The pandemic brought attention and awareness of where food comes from, and an emphasis on locally produced food. To continue to raise awareness on where food comes from, Richland Soil and Water Conservation District (Richland SWCD) is partnering with Richland County farm jewel, Malabar Farm State Park, for Family Fun on the Farm Festival on Saturday, June 25 at Malabar Farm from 2:00 to 6:00 PM. There are many fun activities planned for all ages, especially children. The festival is open to anyone and admission is free.
As an idea of what you might find while at Family Fun on the Farm Festival, last years edition included the following:
- Watch demonstrations on growing shitake mushrooms, saving seeds and how to make a seed bomb.
- Help clean wheat seeds with an old-fashioned seed cleaner and grind the wheat into flour.
- Make a greenhouse from a bag, turn a recycled toilet paper tube into an owl and buy fresh produce.
- Safely sample Figg’s non-alcoholic mixers and Banzo Butter.
- Take a wagon ride, try to hit the bullseye at the archery station and visit the farm animals, plus turtles, snakes and even an Alpaca.
- Spin the Agriculture and Conservation Trivia Wheel to win great prizes, and children can have their face painted with farm animal themes.
- Cast a line at the pond; fishing is free for children 15 and under.
- Stop by the new Mansfield/Richland County Public Library Bookmobile. Enjoy live music and storytelling.
- To quench your thirst and appetite purchase goodies from food trucks.
- Young children will let their imaginations run wild at the Imagination Stations.
- Children up to 18 years-old can pick up free dental health bags.
For questions about Family Fun on the Farm Festival, please e-mail [email protected] or call 419.747.8685.
Source: Richland SWCD
Send us your news — of an announcement, event,
club news, fundraiser – whatever! It’s easy to do online.
Become a 1812Blockhouse Newsroom Partner and support
independent media in Richland County. Details here.
Family Events, Featured, Malabar Farm State Park, Richland Soil and Water Conservation DIstrict