The Northeast District of the Division of Ohio State Parks & Watercraft has organized a series of winter hikes to showcase the beautiful state parks in this part of Ohio. In you put them all on your calendar, these hikes will have you traveling all over Northeast Ohio – from expansive marshes to natural kettle lakes, old-growth forests, and glacier-carved valleys. Winter is a great time to view the fascinating geological features of Ohio.
We’ve included the entire list below, but if you can only make it to the Richland County hikes, then be sure to check out Malabar (Saturday, January 11) and Mohican (Sunday, January 12).
Hiking sticks, sturdy shoes, weather appropriate clothing and water are suggested during winter hikes. Please note that children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources also issues its standard disclaimer that any injury or property damage that occurs during a program or activity is not the responsibility of ODNR or its naturalist educators. If you have any questions regarding the hikes, contact Naturalist Richelle Gatto at 330-402-6919 or Naturalist Cynthia Orth 440-645-9652.
Northeast Ohio State Park Hikes:
- Saturday, December 28 at 10:00 AM – Punderson: Mohawk and Iroquois Trail, 2.13 miles, moderate hike. Meet at the Lodge.
- Saturday, January 4 at 10:00 AM – Wingfoot Lake: Wildlife Trail, 1.16 miles, easy hike. Meet at the Marina Parking Lot.
- Saturday, January 11 at 10:00 AM – Malabar: Doris Duke Trail, 0.87 mile, easy hike. Meet at the parking lot located next to the working farm area.
- Sunday, January 12 at 10:00 AM – Mohican: Guided 5k and 10k hikes. Meet at the commissary in Class A campground.
- Saturday, January 18 at 10:00 AM – Mosquito Lake: Beaver Trail, 0.6 mile, easy hike. Meet at the campground boat ramp.
- Saturday, January 25 at 10:00 AM – Pymatuning: Beaver Dam Trail, 0.96 mile, easy hike. Meet at the Cabin Beach Parking Lot.
- Saturday, February 1 at 10:00 AM – Findley: Wyandot & Hickory Trail, 5k and 10k guided hikes. Meet at the campground pavilion.
- Saturday, February 1 at 4:00 PM – Geneva: Orange and Blue Trail, 2.36 miles, moderate hike. Meet at the Lodge Parking Lot.
- Saturday, February 15 at 10:00 AM – Beaver Creek: Oak Hill and Logan’s Loop, 2.13 miles, intermediate hike. Meet at the Large Parking lot below the office.
- Saturday, February 29 @ 10:00 AM – West Branch: Deer Run and Club Moss Trail, 1.68 miles, moderate hike. Meet at the parking lot across from campground store.
Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Winter Fun