By 1812Blockhouse; ODOT District Three
As “Mansfielders in the know” know, major work is underway to transform US30 as it traverses the north side of the city, from SR 309 to just east of the Fifth Avenue ramps That project has been modified and is now pegged to cost $72.9 million.
In addition to resurfacing, the project will involve the following along a 3.8 mile stretch:
- Replacement of various bridges, construction of a median barrier, and shoulder widening along US 30.
- Upgrade of ramp merge from the eastbound state Route 13/SR 545 entrance ramp to east of Fifth Avenue.
- Resurfacing of Longview Avenue from SR 13 (N. Main Street) to state Route 545 (Olivesburg Road).
- Construction of new eastbound SR 13/SR 545 entrance and exit ramps. The new ramps will be constructed between the existing ramps, which will be removed as part of the project.
- Resurface the westbound SR 13 entrance and exit ramps, and replace pavement on the eastbound SR 545 entrance and exit ramps. No changes will be made to the existing ramp geometry.
- Increase the vertical clearance under the SR 545 and the Fifth Avenue bridges.
- Remove the bridge over a driveway off of Longview Avenue.
- Complete maintenance on the US 30 bridge over SR 13.
- Add corridor lighting and replace the right-of-way fencing.
Work is currently slated to last through spring 2023.
Orange barrels tell the story. As of this week, work continues in the area of the SR39 northbound ramp to US30 eastbound and Longview Avenue relocation to just east of SR 39, with traffic being maintained. Also:
- Traffic on state Route 545 is shifted on the west side while work continues on the east side of the roadway. Traffic will be maintained with a signalized closure on SR 545, under U.S.30.
- U.S. 30 eastbound and westbound, from Trimble Road to Route 13, will have nightly, single lane closures from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. to complete temporary pavement on the shoulders.
- U.S. 30 eastbound daytime lane closure between Route 545 and 5th Avenue to work on rock cut area.
- U.S. 30 structure work – U.S. 30 eastbound traffic lanes have been shifted over Bowman Street so that crews can complete structure work. Two 11’ lanes will be maintained on U.S. 30 eastbound.
- Crews continue work on the Bowman Street structure work under U.S. 30. Traffic on Bowman Street will be maintained by flaggers.
The main contract for the project is with contractors Shelly & Sands, and involves $61.9 million in work.
Featured, Ohio Department of Transportation, road projects, US30